Toxic Work Environment | 10 Culture Red Flags + Solutions
62% of respondents from our recent “Is your job toxic?” survey reported they dread going to work on Monday morning, a feeling Ramit has dubbed the “Sunday Scaries.” If you’re feeling underwhelmed, under-appreciated, and sick to your stomach every time you get up to go to work, you might be stuck in a toxic work environment.
- 45% said they disliked their team, boss, or company they currently work for
- 39% said that even though they have received a raise in their current role, they’re still stressed about money
- 68% feel “stuck” in their career
Is your office full of rumors and gossip, unclear expectations from management, and cliques that make you feel like you’re back in high school? These are all red flags of a toxic work environment. Spending your entire day with people you don’t like or respect can make you feel unhappy and unproductive, wearing you down over time.
Table of Contents
Signs of a Toxic Work Environment
How a Toxic Workplace is Damaging
Ready to improve your habits and level up your life? Download our FREE Ultimate Guide To Habits below.
Signs of Toxic Workplace Fatigue
- Insomnia/development of poor sleeping patterns
- Increase in depressed and anxious thoughts
- Constant fatigue
- Inability to concentrate
- Stress-related mood swings
- Lashing out at family and friends
- Increased drug and alcohol use
- Lethargy — choosing the couch over the gym
- Fluctuations in appetite
- Settling for poor, unhealthy food choices
The most damaging result of being stuck in a destructive work environment is apathy. When we become apathetic towards our work, we begin to question our talents and start to believe that a toxic work environment is where we belong.
But you can break free.