Special Master Class: Negotiating Salary
By Ramit Sethi & Susan Su
So a quick story about the results that Susan got. So Susan got over $8,000 in a salary increase, and a 50 percent increase in equity at this company that she went to work for, which is amazing. You’ll see the actual words she used in her negotiation…watch us role play the negotiation…and understand the psychology of negotiation. This video alone can not only boost your salary, but help you negotiate better in other areas of your life, too.
In Part 1 Ramit Sethi and Susan Su discuss:
- How recruiters think about salaries
- Do you have to reveal your minimum salary?
- Role playing: Does it really work?
- How to answer a tough question when you’re up against a wall
In Part 2 Ramit Sethi and Susan Su discuss:
- The negotiation emergency: what Susan did after her blunder of revealing her minimum salary.
- How to find the typical salary range for your position.
- How not to be a commodity.
- How to show your value without being cocky.
- Smiling: When to smile and when not to smile.
- How to find the real details on the company
- Specific tactics for salary negotiation, including:
- Reveal as little information as possible that has to do with salary.
- Focus on value. Don’t make it a numbers game.
- Don’t be adversarial. Doing your research
In Part 3 Ramit Sethi and Susan Su discuss:
- Four Major Mistakes
- Fear and how to deal with it.
- The Eeyore Syndrome, and why it’s the kiss of death.
- Laziness. Get off your ass – it will pay off.
- Focusing on minutia and its perils.
- How much does it really cost a company to hire you?
- How much does it cost you if you don’t negotiate your salary?
- What key phrases work well in negotiation?
- The difference between men and women when they negotiate.
- The value of practicing, and how much practice is too much.
- What secret key phrase do hiring managers love to hear?
- How to negotiate on more than just your salary.
In Part 4 Ramit Sethi and Susan Su discuss:
- How negotiation isn’t just for salary
- How to dominate negotiations
- Letting the seller decide if the price is fair
- The value of being silent
Click here to download transcript
Remember, practice is the key to success. Videotape yourself. Talk in front of a mirror. Practice. Smile. Practice smiling. Practice some more. Videotape yourself again. And when you think you’re ready, keep practicing. And when the time comes, you’ll be ready. Go negotiate with kick-ass confidence.