OK, who here has had this experience?
11:48pm. I’ve been outlining and writing for 6 hours today and I have 7 sentences. I think I’m onto something, though
— Ramit Sethi (@ramit) May 13, 2015
This is the hard, boring, unsexy work that goes into making something work. It’s not the kind of thing that gets 5,000 Twitter/Instagram “Likes.” You know what does? Pics like THIS:
View from our back yard A photo posted by Ramit Sethi (@ramit) on
That’s why you see tons of pics of people living the life…but very few pics of them actually doing the work to get there.
It’s not sexy to talk about the work that goes into it — but it matters.
Interestingly, there are two pervasive myths about starting to earn more and starting a business:
- You can earn a million dollars working 12 hours a week (not true)
- You have to be working 80-hour weeks for years and years (also not true)
The truth is business is FUN. It’s playing at the highest stakes, and you quickly know if you were right or wrong. I actually love this because it means I’m judged on my merits. If I’m good, I win. If not, I lose.
Let me show you what I mean. My friend Chase Jarvis has built one of the most fun businesses I know. He’s a photographer who works with the best (think Nike, Apple, and Lady Gaga) and he gets to travel to some of the coolest places on earth.
What’s the difference between Chase, who can earn thousands in one shoot, and other photographers who work longer hours for much much less?
I’ll show you.
This is one of my favorite interviews of all time, and it isn’t just about photography. It’s about how to make good money on the side without working all the time, hustling to find clients, or getting burned out.
I’ve shown you how your dream vacation (or new coat, or any big financial goal you might have) is a lot closer than you realize.
Now I want to show you how much fun earning that money can be.
Watch this video. This is an example of something I would charge tens of thousands of dollars for, and it’s one of the best things I’ve ever released for free.
Here’s a sneak peek at what you’ll learn in this video with Chase:
- The psychology behind why creatives are so terrible at pitching themselves — and how to overcome it [11:38]
- A deceptively simple technique I taught Chase (he uses it to this day and called it “mind-blowing”) that has earned my students hundreds of thousands of dollars [33:22]
- Transitioning from a 9-5 job to freelancing full-time [45:55]
- How Chase got paid thousands of dollars for his very first job by positioning himself as a premium product [1:09:13]
- How to use your first 3 clients strategically to springboard your business [1:20:46]
- When to work for free — and how to make that free work pay in the long run [1:22:24]
Watch the full video here:
Then leave a comment below with one insight you learned from this video.
Do you know your earning potential?
Take my earning potential quiz and get a custom report based on your unique strengths, and discover how to start making extra money — in as little as an hour.