How my friend used one email to start getting rich
14 Comments- Get free updates of new posts here
My friend “Michelle” emailed me this morning:
I am tired of being poor. I want to spend my time saving the world, but I don’t want to have to resign myself to a life of scrimping and saving. I’ve talked to “John” [boyfriend] about creating passive (or semi-passive) streams of income, and we just haven’t the slightest idea how to go about doing that. He’s a photographer and I have a background in languages and non-profit work.
So I was wondering if maybe you would let me take you out to coffee to pick your brain. I have never, ever felt that I have even a drop of entrepreneurship in me, but maybe that doesn’t need to stop me…? At any rate, I know that you have a passion for this sort of thing, so if you think you could help me just brainstorm, I would be eternally grateful.
No problem. I’d be happy to talk to you about this and see how I can help.
But I’ll ask you to do three things before we meet…
1. Make a list of all your income and all your expenses. Know exactly how much you’re making and what you’re spending it on (what % on rent, loans, food, clothes, etc). Bring the documents with you so I can take a look and see if anything is wildly off.
2. Think hard about what you are willing to do to change your financial situation. Would you be willing to get another job? Would John? It’s really important to talk to John since you’re in this together. Please bring him along.
3. What are your skills? What are your interests? Come with 3 specific ideas on what you could do on the side to make money!
Does that make sense?
I’ll be at XXX this Saturday all day. Want to meet around 1pm?
PS–I’d also recommend starting to read http://www.iwillteachyoutoberich.com from the first post and working your way up. It’s a quick read!
I’ll post more about her progress in the upcoming weeks.
By the way, notice the key elements of persuasion that you could use to get a meeting with anyone:
- A bold intro
- Reciprocity (she offers to take me to coffee)
- Respect (she’ll respect my time by working around my schedule)
I’ll be writing an ebook on effective emails later this year (see my first ebook on kicking ass). To get a sneak peek of the email ebook, join my free newsletter. Or just stay tuned to the blog for the full release.
How would you like free money? That's not a trick question. For millions of people, free money is up for ...Read More
I used to be terrible at getting busy VIPs to respond to my emails. Years ago, I kept emailing Seth ...Read More