Ask Ramit: “What if I’m a job hopper?” video
11 Comments- Get free updates of new posts here
“What should I do if I’m a job hopper?”
This is one of the top questions I received in over 30,000 data points I collected for the Find Your Dream Job course.
In fact, I got it so many times that I decided to put together a video answering it, plus:
- How top performers approach job hopping
- What hiring managers think about job hoppers
- How long you should stay at a job
Notes from the video:
- No, employers don’t like job hoppers. But that’s only part of the story.
- Top performers are VERY comfortable moving from one job to another every 2-3 years.
- Positioning matters: For example, if you’ve stayed at a company for 5 years, that can actually look bad…and if you’ve only stayed at a company for a year, that can also look bad.
- Yet you can use sophisticated positioning — which is completely ethical and accurate — to actually show why staying at a company for 1 year, or 5 years, was a terrific decision. Your answer can actually strengthen your position as a candidate
- So if you have gaps in your job history…or you’ve hit a dead-end and want to switch your career…or if you aren’t sure what your passion is and you’ve jumped around…watch this.
For more videos from the Dream Job course — including a 21-minute live interview teardown with one DJ student who overcame a weak job history to land TWO Dream Jobs (and started a bidding war between them), sign up below.
Sign up below to watch my live interview teardown that helped one student land her Dream Job AND negotiate a huge raise.
Student loans are a big kick in the face that the real world has arrived. The average graduate has $28,...Read More