The master of persuasion: Interview with BJ Fogg
22 Comments- Get free updates of new posts here
How do you use persuasion to change others’ behavior — or your own?
2 days ago, I held a live Q&A with my mentor, Stanford psychologist BJ Fogg. He’s the father of the field of Captology — Computers As Persuasive Technologies — and he taught me most of what I learned in psychology and persuasion early on.
It was a fascinating call.
We covered material on:
- Classic psychology studies on behavioral change and persuasion
- Theoretical concepts from academia as well as applied techniques we’ve developed — and tested — ourselves
- Rich examples of how humans behave irrationally — and how to use this to ethically influence others
- Using persuasion techniques to get a dream job
- Live Q&A with readers on how to motivate themselves, how to stay focused on an idea, our favorite psychology books, and more
My new technology system limited the number of concurrent listeners to 1,001, and we had 1,001 the entire time.
I thought I’d share some of the comments from people who attended:[tweet http://twitter.com/trakmotn/statuses/27926060943278081 conversation=”false” hide_thread=”true” align=”center”] [tweet http://twitter.com/dannylamas/statuses/27927193585717248 conversation=”false” hide_thread=”true” align=”center”] [tweet http://twitter.com/Ericanista/statuses/27925768348639232 conversation=”false” hide_thread=”true” align=”center”] [tweet http://twitter.com/lilennox/statuses/27912332025790464 conversation=”false” hide_thread=”true” align=”center”] [tweet http://twitter.com/BradleyCW/statuses/28115774656741377 conversation=”false” hide_thread=”true” align=”center”] [tweet http://twitter.com/janyasor/statuses/27919685206933505 conversation=”false” hide_thread=”true” align=”center”]
Here are some of the other areas we covered:
- How a classic persuasion technique increased persuasion from 17% to 76%
- How “self-persuasion” increased persuasion 3% to 32% — on a major behavior
- The psychology of “baby steps”
- Why “motivation” is overrated (ever say, “I just can’t get the motivation to work out / work on this project”?)
- Using behavior to change attitude (read that again…it’s opposite of what most people think)
- Why we’re certain we’d leave a dangerous smoke-filled room…but why a simple intervention reduced that number from 75% leaving the room…to only 10% (and how you can protect against negative social influence)
- Why “educating others” with more information is overrated
- Persuasive triggers that work better than information alone
- BJ’s tip on having your clients fall in love with you
- A killer technique when doing group presentations
- What the best salespeople and extroverts have in common — and how to systematically study it and adopt it
- The difference between deep academic studies and pop psychology (and the value in both)
- Our respective favorite books on psychology, influence, and persuasion
I’ve put together the full 1-hour recording for you, along with a transcript and recommended book list.
This is free to readers of “I Will Teach You To Be Rich” — but if you find it useful, as others have, all I ask is that you do two things.
1. Treat it like something you spent $1,000 on. Use it. Implement it. Don’t just listen to it and then move on with your life. There are dozens of profoundly useful and applicable techniques that you can use to kickstart a project, get out of a rut, improve your health, make more money, improve your relationships, excel at work, and challenge your beliefs about behavioral change.
2. Tell 3 friends about it. Every one of your friends has an area of their lives where effective persuasion techniques could help them excel. I kept it free so you could spread the ideas that BJ and I talk about. In a profound way, you have the chance to help your friends accomplish more. What could be more powerful than that?
Again, I invested thousands of dollars and 16 hours of work to put this webcast together. And it’s yours free, because I know that by investing in you now, you’ll be back to invest in my work — whether my free material or my premium courses.
You can get the recording of BJ Fogg and me, Ramit Sethi, here:Enter your details to receive the recording:
Personal branding is one of those buzz phrases like “clarifying your vision” and “aligning your mission.” They sound nice, but ...Read More